American Airlines and US Airways have today announced a merger that will create the largest airline in the US. The new airline will take the American Airlines name and will be lead by the current US Airways boss, Doug Parker.

US Airways
US Airways Boeing 757-2B7 – N204UW – Photo © –

Today’s announcement brings to a close protracted talks that started back in August 2012.The combined airline will offer more than 6,700 daily flights to 336 destinations in 56 countries and is expected to operate 1,500 aircraft and employ 100,000 people.

American Airlines went bankrupt back in 2011. The companies bankruptcy creditors who will hold 72% of the company shareholding with US Airways stakeholders taking the remaining 28%.

American Airlines Boeing 777 N750AN - Photo © Darryl Morrell -
American Airlines Boeing 777 N750AN – Photo © Darryl Morrell –

The American Airlines press release states that:

The combined airline is expected to maintain all hubs currently served by American Airlines and US Airways, resulting in more travel options for customers.  Both airlines expect that the regional carriers they own – AMR Corporation’s American Eagle and US Airways’ Piedmont and PSA – will continue to operate as distinct entities, providing seamless service to the combined airline.  The company will be headquartered in Dallas-Fort Worth and will maintain a significant corporate and operational presence in Phoenix.

For further information see this newly created website:

We hope you found this article helpful. We're a small team of enthusiasts dedicated to making live plane tracking available to everyone at the touch of a button. If you'd like to find out more why not try out one of our apps for your Android or iOS device?

iOS App Store Google Play Store